Guidance is Important - Especially in Public Service


In 1997 as a new Elected Official, I was thankful to have my dad to help me navigate my first four-year term.  My dad’s guidance helped me steer clear of the slippery slopes that entice, entangle, and sometimes envelop novice elected officials... Nearly fourteen years into my career, I truly understand how vital it was to have had the tutelage of my dad. 

For many newly elected officials, it’s an exciting yet overwhelming period.  Without having prior political knowledge or the wisdom of a mentor, this begins the “sink or swim” or “trial by fire” season of their political life.

As a learning and development consultant with over 20 years of experience designing, developing, and delivering training programs, I can attest to the necessity of providing individuals with the opportunity, encouragement, and tools/training that they need to succeed.  To this end, I developed a handbook to assist Council by documenting acceptable practices and clarifying expectations to help our colleagues carry out the duties and responsibilities of public office.

As a Council team, we want to give every legislator the information that they need to confidently and competently represent our community, inform their vote, and operate in the best interest of our municipality.
  hashtagleadershipmatters




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Democratic Process

It's All About Relationship

Sexting:Teen Phenomenon & Felony